Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I'll start off with a brief intro, when I was about ten I was introduced to model railroading as more or less a out put for the abundance of energy that I had. My first train set was a life like special from the local toy store, a Santa Fe engine with two box cars, a gondola and a caboose. A year or so passed and I bought my first real engine a Athern GP7 in the Maine Central green and yellow scheme. From there it's history. The current roster has two GE dash 8 40b's several u boats including baby boats and  u23b's, a few EMD's including GP 7's, 8's, 9's, 38's, 40's and 60m. Also currently on the workbench are some custom cars for chip service.


Location 


 This is the second layout I have built the first was in my childhood home in Maine. I learned a lot in that 8' x 4' layout, what works and doesn't work.The old layout was DC the new layout is DCC. I will post some pictures of the old layout soon. The location of the old layout was more or less anything goes no location no specific time. With the new layout I decided to be more specific so I decided to do the main central harvest gold scheme but in present day. The layout will interchange with Boston and Maine, CP rail and a fictitious local called the New Hampshire railway company. The layout will be based in the south western part of New Hampshire as that is where I currently reside and it has several railroads to draw inspiration from.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, just wanted to say your layout is looking good. Your story and mine are closely linked, in that I grew up close to te Rigby Yard (and I didn't even know it was called that until years later). I lived on Highland Ave in South Portland for the first 2-3 years I my life, and one of the biggest thrills of my young life was when my dad took me down to visit the Rigby roundhouse. Seeing the men in the maintenance bays, working on the big RS 11's, was awesome. One of the guy's even made the turntable go around. Both sets of my grandparents lived near portions of the RR; my mom's parents lived in Windham, and a rural portion of the Mountain Division tracks ran through their property; on summer vacations we used to either walk or drive down to the tracks in my gramps old Scout. I'll never forget those days. Anyway, after a long absence from model RR (and really only having enough room for a small N scale layout, which will be new to a guy used to HO), I just bought an Atlas MEC loco and, after looking at yours and Mike McNamara's sites, may try building a small version of Rigby with a short run to Westbrook and the old SD Warren paper mill (now Sappi Paper). I may be in touch for some advice on modeling a prototype RR, if you don't mind. Good luck with your layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Rob I was wondering if anyone was even looking at the blog. I too remember the good old days at rigby yard watching the freight roll through and the yard engine knocking cars around. I am going to try and post every month or more as time permits so check back regularly I also post on you tube.

      Cheers
      Court

      Delete